Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Armed Self Defense

There is a significant increase in interest in armed self defense in recent years, and now a majority of states permit it. Even after the recent Supreme Court decision, there exist a few jurisdictions that still deny citizens this right. I am still one of the bitter clingers, but you may hope that I will change. There isn't much chance of that, as I just took the course to get my concealed handgun permit. I had one a few years ago, but allowed it to expire, after moving away from the state that issued it. It is a good idea to take a refresher course every few years, as laws change from time to time, and range practice is always a good idea. Here is a link to a great introduction to the subject. I am fortunate to live in a state that permits open carry to all citizens who may lawfully possess a firearm. Only concealed carry requires a permit. I prefer to be discreet, most of the time, so I am getting the permit. When should one carry? Always, with the exception of in places where it is illegal. And most of the time you should avoid those places, because they aren't safe.

8 comments:

scalpel said...

So are you packing the 229 in the pic? I was thinking about getting one of those in .40 myself.

Buck said...

Not yet. This will be my first purchase after the permit arrives. With the permit no required purchase license or waiting period. For now I just have my old AMT Hardballer, a Browning High Power, and a few backups here and there. Practically unarmed, heh, heh.

EE said...

"When should one carry? Always, with the exception of in places where it is illegal. And most of the time you should avoid those places, because they aren't safe."

Permission to use that in a paper I'm writing, sir. With full credit to you of course.

If only I could avoid campus...

Buck said...

Permission granted, with pleasure.

EE said...

Thank you, sir.

EE said...

I made an A on the paper, sir! YESSS! I've used that quote in 2 lectures I've given as well, sir. Full credit given to you, both in lecture and on my references paper that I hand out, of course.

Buck said...

Good job! If you got an A, your prof must not be a moonbat. Keep lecturing.

EE said...

Well, he is a moonbat (<90% of Poli Sci profs are!), haha. He grades fairly though and is fun to argue with.

SCCC is hosting a national Pitch it to the People campaign next week. (http://www.concealedcampus.org/press3.htm) My campus chapter is participating in it, should be fun.